Electric vehicles account for nearly six percent of new vehicle sales in U.S. during Q1
WASHINGTON, DC – The Alliance for Automotive Innovation (Auto Innovators) today released a comprehensive new analysis of the U.S. electric vehicle market for January, February and March of 2022. The latest Get Connected Electric Vehicle Quarterly Report summarizes electric vehicle (EV) sales and purchasing trends across all 50 states.
· EVs represented 5.9 percent of overall light-duty vehicle sales (unchanged from Q4 2021);
· Almost 200,000 EVs were sold in Q1 in the U.S., an increase of 4.2 percent over the previous quarter and 54 percent over the same period in 2021;
· 79 EV models (cars, utility vehicles, pickups and vans) are available for sale in the U.S.;
· Top five states for EV sales: California (17.9 percent); the District of Columbia (13.5 percent); Washington state (9.7 percent); Oregon (9.4 percent); and Colorado (8.3 percent);
· Even with continued sales growth, EVs account for just under one percent of all registered light-duty vehicles on U.S. roads;
· Publicly available EV charging locations increased 20 percent since January 1, 2021 (113,793 charging ports).
John Bozzella, president and CEO of the Alliance for Automotive Innovation, said: “The good news: more and more drivers are making the switch to electric. But we’re still in the very early days of the electric transition and only going to reach our shared goal of eight million EV sales annually by 2030 with drivers at all income levels in all corners of the country choosing from the widest range of EV models. The vehicles and the technology are there, but this massive transformation also requires supportive public policies like a tax credit to lower the cost of an EV for the millions of drivers who buy most of America’s cars and trucks.”
Auto Innovators recently outlined the reasons Congress should pass the EV tax credit here.
Read the Q1 2022 Get Connected Electric Vehicle Quarterly Report.
Previous Get Connected EV market reports available here.
June 21, 2022 Press Release